Information About Livestock & Pet Movement

Do You Want to Bring Animals into California? Visit CDFA interactive website to find the latest requirements needed to bring livestock and other animals into California.

Most livestock and poultry have entry permit and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) requirements to enter California (horses and other equidae do not require a permit but do require a CVI). California entry permits are issued to accredited licensed veterinarians from the state of origin by the Animal Health Branch by calling the Permit Line at (916) 900-5052. If a CVI is required for the shipment, it must be completely filled out prior to calling for the permit. The CVI must include the complete physical origin and destination address along with phone numbers. In certain circumstances, special movement documents may be allowed in lieu of a 30-day CVI and/or permit, such as Pasture-to-Pasture Permits. Please refer to CDFA’s Animal Disease Traceability webpage or call (916) 900-5052 for more information.

After Hours Permits
Animal movement permits may be obtained after hours, weekends and holidays by calling the Animal Health Branch Permit Line at (916) 900-5052. The recording will direct the caller to a temporary permit number to use as long as the animals are complying with California state entry requirements. This permit number is valid for 15 days and is to be placed on the shipping copy of the health certificate only. An official permit number must be obtained the following business day by calling (916) 900-5052. If the caller wishes to leave a voicemail with the complete information, they will receive a phone call from the permit desk the following business day.

Transporting Livestock and other Animals into California Factsheet Certificate of Veterinary Inspection Requirements

Border station personnel are required to document all horses crossing into California. This includes California horses returning to California. Thus, all horse trailers are required to stop at the border station crossings to provide destination information and required entry documentation. To facilitate prompt, efficient transition through the station, an Equine Only - California Entry Document has been developed. This document can be completed in advance and provided to the border personnel for verification.

Equine Only – California Entry Document

Vesicular Stomatitis – Based on the international delisting of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) and recent scientific evidence, California is revising the VS entry requirement statement on Certificates of Veterinary Inspection from VS affected states.

Currently, all horses, cattle, swine, sheep, and goats from a state where VSV has been diagnosed, or visiting an infected state and then returning to California, except those moving directly to slaughter, must be accompanied by a CVI that includes the statement:

“I have examined all the animals identified on this certificate within seven (7) days of shipment date and found them to be free from signs of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS). During the last fourteen (14) days, these animals have not been exposed to VS nor located on a VS confirmed or a VS suspected premises.”

NOTE: The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) for California horses returning to California from a VS Affected State must include the VS statement written by an Accredited Veterinarian in the VS Affected State.

A Virulent Newcastle Disease (VND) regional quarantine is in effect in Southern California (see map here).

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is not allowing shipments of live birds (all) or hatching/embryonated eggs into or out of zip codes 90000-93599 in California. For more information:

For more information visit the VND webpage

Accredited licensed veterinarians may order California Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) for Livestock and Poultry (Form 77-010) from the Animal Health Branch by calling (916) 900-5002. Alternatively, veterinarians can utilize an electronic CVI service. Please refer to our page on Electronic CVIs (eCVIs) for information on CVI options for small animals and large animals and links to eCVI providers.

Effective January 1, 2020, CDFA will accept Global Vet Link's Extended Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI) for equine interstate movement. Through the GVL software system, veterinarians can create an EECVI online, submit it to their state animal health official electronically, and provide owners with online access to retrieve the required travel permits for each interstate movement. For more information, visit Global Vet Link’s EECVI webpage.

For information on moving animals from California to other states, check the USDA State Regulations webpage and call the state of destination. The websites and are other resources for veterinarians and contain information on entry requirements for states.

Leporidae (Rabbits, Hares)

Due to the ongoing outbreak of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease (RHD) in the U.S., California has implemented a statewide quarantine with movement restrictions for rabbits and hares entering California.

No rabbits, hares, or their products (meat, pelts, hides, carcasses, etc.) and equipment or other items or associated materials may enter California from states or countries where Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease (RHD) has been diagnosed in the prior 12 months unless they meet the following requirements.

  1. All live rabbits and hares require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, and must be inspected by an accredited veterinarian within 72 hours prior to shipping to California. The CVI must include a statement by an accredited veterinarian certifying that:
    • All rabbits and hares in the shipment have been examined for and found free of communicable diseases, and
    • All rabbits and hares have originated from a single premises that has no signs of a communicable disease, and
    • There have been no movements of rabbits and hares onto the premises over the prior 30-days, and
    • The animals have had no contact with wild rabbits or hares in the past 30 days.
  2. No rabbits and hares or rabbit and hare products (meat, pelts, hides, carcasses, etc.) and equipment or other items or associated materials may enter California from a premises known to be affected with RHD.

For more information regarding RHD, please refer to:

Restricted Species

Animals that are not regularly domesticated or that are potentially detrimental to California’s native wildlife are regulated by California’s Code of Regulations (CCR) Title 14, section 671 and administered by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). Anyone importing species that are restricted under this law should contact CDFW’s License and Revenue Branch at (916) 928-5845 or (916) 928-5853 to confirm or obtain the appropriate permit(s). Permits are not issued to import or possess any wild animal for pet purposes.

Restricted species may include, but are not limited to, the following animals (contact CDFW’s Licensing and Revenue Branch to confirm a species is restricted):

  • Amphibians
  • Crustaceans
  • Ferrets
  • Fish
  • Mammals not regulated by CDFA Animal Health Branch (check the Restricted Species List )
  • Reptiles
  • Rodents
  • Wild Birds


Artiodactyla (even-toed animals), including cervids (deer, elk, moose, caribou, and exotic species), some camelids (vicu?as), and peccaries among others, have additional CDFW requirements before they can enter California including:

  • Official identification
  • A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection
  • Testing for bovine tuberculosis
  • Testing for brucellosis
Cervids cannot be imported without a Cervidae Importation Application approved and signed by a CDFW Veterinarian. Before importing any Cervid species, please contact CDFW’s Wildlife Investigations Laboratory at (916) 358-2790.

Primates, New World Cats (Ocelots, Jaguar, Margay, Spotted Cat, Pampas), Ring-Tailed Cat, Foxes (Arctic, Red, Kit, Gray), Skunks & Bats

Contact the California Department of Public Health Veterinary Public Health Section at (916) 552-9740 for more information.

If transporting biologics, microorganisms, or parasites into California, contact the California Department of Food and Agriculture, Animal Health Branch for additional information and/or a PERMIT.

Dogs and Cats are regulated by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). For information regarding the importation and exportation of these animals please contact CDPH.

All domestic cats must be healthy. Neither a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, nor a rabies vaccination is required to import a cat into California; however, if traveling into California via airplane, please call the airline as they may have additional requirements.

All domestic dogs must be healthy. Dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is not required for privately owned dogs being brought into the State of California. Persons bringing dogs into California with intent to sell or transfer ownership must have a health certificate completed by a licensed veterinarian within the 10 days prior to the date of importation. The person seeking to bring a dog into the state must send a copy of the health certificate to the county health department in the county in which the dog is to be sold or in the county of residence of the person who is receiving the dog. All persons transporting dogs via commercial air should call the airline for any additional requirements they might have.

The United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals (APHIS Form 7001) is available as a fillable PDF form from the United States Department of Agriculture. The accredited veterinarian should maintain a photocopy of each document issued in an appropriate hospital file. To be valid for international travel or export, USDA APHIS VS area office endorsement is required. Obtain endorsement from:

United States Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services
Veterinary Services
10365 Old Placerville Road, Suite 210
Sacramento, CA 95827

Phone: (916) 854-3950
Fax: (916) 363-1125

The United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals (APHIS Form 7001) Reference: California Veterinarian Article, Small Animal Health Certificates

Many states are no longer accepting the USDA APHIS form 7001 for interstate travel of small animals. The current APHIS form 7001 is easily downloadable off the internet and does not contain a unique, traceable identifying number. Because of some fraudulent use, the form has come under scrutiny and is being denied by a growing number of states. Accredited veterinarians are encouraged to check with the destination state to determine what forms are accepted. As an alternative to the APHIS form 7001, accredited practitioners can use an electronic Certificate of Veterinary Inspection available through a number of providers. Providers of electronic Certificates of Veterinary Inspection can be found on our page: Electronic Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (eCVIs).

For information on moving animals to California from other countries and from California to other countries, check the USDA Veterinary Services International Animal Import and Export web site.

If the species to be exported is not listed, contact the appropriate ministry in the destination country and apply for an import permit that will include the entry requirements.  Foreign consulate information may be found at If additional assistance is needed, accredited veterinarians may contact Veterinary Service Export Staff at (916) 854-3900, Fax: (916) 363-1125, email:

To be valid for international travel or export, the USDA/APHIS/VS area office must endorse the United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals (APHIS Form 7001). Please contact:

United States Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services
Veterinary Services
10365 Old Placerville Road, Suite 210
Sacramento, CA 95827
Phone: (916) 854-3950
Fax: (916) 363-1125

Contact Us

CDFA Animal Health and Food Safety Services,
Animal Health Branch

1220 N Street
Sacramento, California 95814
Phone: 916-900-5002
Fax: 916-900-5333
Our offices are open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time.